Friday, May 29, 2009

Tinfoil Cooking

Does the thought of cooking up some delicious, smoky potatoes at camp, without major clean up sound like fun to you? It does to us and we've tried a handful of tinfoil cooked foods out to share with you.

Tinfoil Food

One of our favorites is a simple potato and onion mix. Cut both up into good sized chunks and season to your liking. (check out this camping tip for easy packing of seasonings). Also, don't forget the butter! It keeps the potatoes from sticking too much.

I also tried this recipe out from Jamie Oliver's site. I have to admit, I'm not sure when the last time I ate a beet was, but his picture looked so appetizing I thought I would give it a whirl.

Tin Foil Beets

So here is the basics on cooking anything really in tin foil:

1. Build a hot fire with good sized logs.
2. Let the fire burn down until there are only coals left. You don't want any flames still.
3. Double wrap your food in tinfoil.
4. Keep all food packets the same size. For instance, one potato and some onion chunks per packet).
5. Cook until finished--keeping in mind this is slow cooking. I find one potato packet cooks in about 45 min. to one hour, but this depends on how hot the coals are etc.

Tinfoil Cooking

Another site with some easy tinfoil recipes here.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I LOVE tinfoil dinners! I've been craving them for the last few months now that the weather is so perfect in Utah. I'm going to have to do an overnight camping trip pretty soon.