Monday, June 8, 2009

Mountain Bike Panning Photos

View from Above

Adam inadvertently was panning when he shot these mountain biking photos. Panning basically involves moving the camera while the subject is moving past you. Here is what I know about panning:

Use a slow shutter speed. This allows some of the image to blur. Don't worry, your subject will be mostly in focus if you move the camera basically at the same speed they go past you. Slow in this photo was 1/40 with an aperture of 5.6. It was pretty dark out that day. I think anything really under 1/60 with a moving subject should be fine.

Move at the same speed (roughly!) as your subject. Basically, follow them through the lens.

Try different angles, up high, to the side, etc.

1 comment:

anna said...

Cool pic. I know the concept too, but it doesn't work all the time. It's even more difficult when it's dark. But luckily cyclists are not _that fast ;-). For steady objects I have the problem of myself shaking when I go below 1/60, but maybe I just need more practice.