Friday, August 21, 2009

Reasons to Never Bake a Fruit Cobbler on Your Jetboil

I was thrilled to find this tasty, eggless recipe on the Jetboil’s website. How Martha-Betty-Mountain-Girl-Stewart would it be to turn to my backpacking buddies and say- fruit cobbler anyone? So I prepped everything ahead of time- the whole time thinking- man I’m good at this outdoor cooking thing. Dry stuff in one zippy bag, canned fruit, check, check.

I’m not exactly sure where I went wrong with this recipe. Maybe I shouldn’t have doubled it. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so concerned about it baking all the way through since there wasn’t any eggs in it. Maybe I should have known that baking fruit cobblers on camp stoves isn’t a good idea.

Well, let me tell you gang- it is not a good idea to bake a fruit cobbler on your Jetboil! And whatever you do- don’t double the recipe. At first, it looks good. Heck, it even tastes good. But then you get to the bottom and you realize that you have really, really burned the daylights out of your cook pot.

I’ve been soaking it for six days in water and scrubbing sporadically. I’ve discovered burnt fruit cobbler is a killer to get off and when you let your Jetboil stove get too hot, the special ring on the bottom starts to come up through the pan.

So why am I about to share this recipe with you? Well, I figure it is good to share things that don’t work just as much as it is to share things that do work. Also, I could see this working on a different type of pan and not doubling the recipe. Just remember- you could burn the daylights out of your pan.

Fruit Cobbler Recipe Ingredients (from Jetboils's website):

½ cup sugar
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs. butter
1 cup of fruit (sliced peaches, cherries, blueberries, etc., drained of half the juice if from a can or snack cup)

Fruit Cobbler

Prepare dry mix of baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and flour ahead of time. Keep in ziplock bag.

Fruit Cobbler

Melt butter in stove on low heat

Fruit Cobbler

Add milk

Fruit Cobbler

Add dry ingredients, stir

Fruit Cobbler

Add fruit mix from can without juice

Fruit Cobbler

Cook until top is dry

Jet Boil

Letting it get way too hot with the lid on top

Fruit Cobbler

Getting even hotter

Fruit Cobbler

Probably burning here

Fruit Cobbler

Ta-da! Burnt fruit cobbler

Fruit Cobbler

The ironic part is that the cobbler was really damn good.

Fruit Cobbler Bite

No comments: