Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Daddy Longlegs

The Daddy Longlegs (the Pholcidae- I think) has long been an okay spider in my book. They're not particularly jumpy (hate that kind), or hairy, or thick- which are all spider qualities that I like to avoid. Great information about the Daddy Longleg here as well as other spider facts here.

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Longleg Island

Random story- one summer I was doing a multi-day canoe trip with a group of about ten people. I was dying, dying to go the bathroom for like two hours. We finally paddled our way over to a small island in the middle of the lake.

I hopped out of the canoe, scrambled through the pricker bushes and ran into the middle of this island. I was so happy to be peeing- that I hadn't noticed the entire island was moving. Yes, moving. Moving because there were hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of Daddy Longlegs running up and down the trees, over my feet, in all the leaves.

Now, I can deal with Daddy Longlegs, but I can't really deal with a few hundred Daddy Longlegs. Needless to say- I hightailed it back to the canoe and paddled the heck out of there.

No comments: