Monday, November 19, 2012

Gearing Up

Looking Up

The change in the seasons has slowed down our hiking lately- but we have still been working on the list! We've had a few false starts involving very long drives just to discover we had forgotten very critical things--- such as pants (I know really?!?). 

Anyway, we are all the way up to number 37 (just finally claimed Waumbek this weekend). The mountains have been covering up with snow and dropping significantly in temperature. Our hike this weekend was cold yet we still managed to stay very, very sweaty.

Hiking up Jefferson

The thing with winter is that it really cuts away the men from the boys. It's freakin' cold when you start. You wake up at 4:30- 5:00 to drive 2 or 3 hours. The trail may be broken or maybe not. You may need snowshoes or maybe not. Crampons, stabilizers- you can never really be sure so you carry them all just in case.

You have to really, really love the outdoors and winter to do this winter hiking thing. Some days I question my own interest when my hair is frozen into icicles against my face on a windy peak. 

For me- I really love the isolation of it all. I love stopping to catch my breath and hearing nothing. To imagine that there isn't a soul for miles around.That's what drives me...

So more to come. I'm still working on catching this ol' blog up to us on the actual list so you can follow us in real time.

No comments: