Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fireflies

I came across this beautifully illustrated children's book during my yard saling over the weekend. I particularly like it because they are all the common backyard insects and critters. I thought I would feature an insect a day (or maybe more!). Enjoy!

Fireflies

Fireflies

Some firefly facts:
  • Fireflies are "distasteful" and somewhat poisonous for other vertebrate predators.
  • Light is produced through a process called bioluminescence.
  • The light emitted is also considered to be a warning sign to hungry predators, since the chemicals the fireflies contain is so nasty tasting and poisonous.
  • Tropical fireflies synchronize their flashes of light, so they all blink in unison. Apparently in the US you can see synchronized fireflies in parts of South Carolina, Tennessee, and in parts of the Great Smoky Mountains.

No comments: